Sunday, September 26, 2010

I get those "hate myself" feelings when things like this happen...

A customer at our local grocery store told me while I was checking her out, "You must be doing something wrong. This never happens when I have any other cashier"...

By this, she means the register freezing up on me when I was computing her WIC order. I actually was doing everything right. My boss was watching me, and she took me aside after that customer left and said "Leah, don't listen to what she said. The register freezes up randomly during WIC orders. It has nothing to do with what you were doing".

I was glad she said that, but at the same time it only took that one customer staring me dead in the eyes saying what she did to make my mind say "Yea, Leah, you can't do anything right. You can't even do a job that high schoolers do."

Its that black and white thinking that a lot of people who suffer from eating disorders possess. When I really stop to think about what kind of thoughts run through my head, I realize that a majority of them are all positive or all negative. Its hard for me to see the gray area.

Does anyone else have this issue? It shouldn't matter to me what a stranger says. So why does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment